Be a Cabin Leader
The Santa Cruz County Outdoor Science School is seeking energetic and responsible high school volunteers throughout the school year to serve as Cabin Leaders to small groups of 5th and 6th grade students. Each Cabin Leader is paired with a Naturalist who they assist on trail and during field studies. Cabin Leaders help ensure the student safety during daily activities and overnight in the cabins. All Cabin Leaders participate in Training the first and second day of the program before students arrive. Cabin Leaders arrive at 7:00 pm the first day of the program week and are dismissed at 12:00pm on the final day program.
- Earn up to 60 Community Service hours in one week
- Earn 3 college credits by enrolling in ED80, an Education & Service Learning class at Cabrillo College. The course is free for high school students and can be taken in person or online.
- Gain skills in Leadership and Risk Management during Cabin Leader Training
- Have fun working with 5th and 6th grade students at the Outdoor Science School
- Find a week that works for you and your school.
- Print the Cabin Leader Application
- Complete Applicant Information and Questions.
- Have your Parent/Guardian complete the Service Learning Permission Form.
- Have your teachers and school administrators sign the Service Learning Permission Form.
- Scan and email your application to email@example.com or take pictures with your phone and text them to (831) 291 – 3997.
Applicants will receive an email with a Registration Packet. You must reply to this email confirming you will attend in order to reserve your place. Please bring your Registration forms with you to Training.
2016-17 Calendar with Visiting Elementary Schools
11/28 – 12/2 Ann Soldo
12/5 – 9 Valencia, Tierra Pacifica
12/12 – 16 Mar Vista, Charleston, Queen of Apostles
1/9 – 13 Saratoga
1/16 – 20 Foothill, McCollam
1/23 – 27 Mary Chapa
1/30 – 2/3 Pacific Grove
2/6 – 10 H.A. Hyde, Montgomery
2/13 – 17 Regnart, DeVargas
2/20 – 24 Bayview, Radcliff
2/27 – 3/3 Freedom, Aptitud
3/6 – 10 Mintie White, Alianza
3/13 – 17 DLAMP, Starlight
3/20 – 24 Vine Hill, Calabasas
3/27– 31 Landmark, SC Gardens, Spring Hill
4/3 – 7 Sedgwick, John Muir
4/17 – 21 Brook Knoll, Ohlone
4/24 – 28 O.B. Whaley, K. Smith
5/1 – 5 Elkhorn, Westlake
5/8 – 12 Soquel, Main Street, Oasis Charter
5/15 – 19 Delaveaga, Gault
5/21 – 25 (Sun – Thurs) Prunedale, Loma Vista Elementary
5/30 – 6/2 Echo Valley, Castroville
If you are unable to download an application, or would like more information please contact me via email or phone.
Earn 3 College Credits from Cabrillo College
Students receive 2 college credits for EDUC 80, and 1 credit for EDUC 80L during which students volunteer for one week as a Cabin Leader.
EDUC 80 is a lecture course that provides a general introduction to educational theory and practice. The course can be taken at Cabrillo College in Aptos or online. The on-campus lecture is 2 hours a week, and the online class is organized by modules. This class is worth 2 college units.
EDUC 80L is the Service Learning component to EDUC 80. High school students satisfy the 56 volunteer hours during one week of service as a Cabin Leader at the Santa Cruz County Outdoor Science School. This class is worth 1 college unit.
To apply, students need to complete a Concurrent Enrollment application and return it to Cabrillo College Admissions by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding EDUC 80 can be directed to the course instructor, Professor Mary Soltis by email at email@example.com. The course is free for high school students, however students will pay a small registration fee. More information about EDUC 80 can be found here.
Cabin Leader Program Coordinator
Santa Cruz County Outdoor Science School
Koinonia Conference Grounds
1605 Eureka Canyon Rd.
Watsonville, CA 95076
Call or text: 831-291-3997