Santa Cruz Outdoor School is owned and operated by the Santa Cruz County Office of Education and is offered as a four or five day program to fifth and sixth grade students. Your child's school has chosen to participate in this unique educational experience.
During field class, students study the forest, meadows, and streams with a qualified naturalist. Through the use of games and other activities, instructors teach concepts about the natural sciences. Children see the interrelationships between plants and animals and learn about the affect they as people have on the environment.
Classroom teachers accompany their classes and provide constant support throughout the week. A week at outdoor school provides a unique learning opportunity. Living 24 hours a day with other students requires your child to cooperate and work together with others toward common goals. Friendships that are made during this week, particularly from different schools may last a lifetime.
This may be your child's first time away from home for this length of time. Cheerful letters from home are always appreciated by the students. Please mail your letters early in order to insure their arrival by Wednesday or Thursday.
While your child is at Outdoor School they will be well fed. The cooks are experienced in the preparation and serving of balanced meals and see to it that your child eats well. Children serve themselves to the family style meals and are encouraged to eat as much as they'd like.
All checks written to finance your child's trip should be made payable to the school that he/she attends.
PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR CHILD WITH AN ENVIRONMENTALLY PACKAGED LUNCH TO BE EATEN DURING THE FIRST DAY OF OUTDOOR SCHOOL. No snacks should be sent with your child unless there is a medical reason for doing so. Please do not send cash with your child.
Please review the following materials, as they contain all relevant information and forms needed for your child to participate in Outdoor Science School.
- Parent/Guardian Guide (Includes all of the forms below) (English)
- Guía Para Los Padres/Custodios en Español (Todos los formularios abajo están incluidos) (Español)
- Student Registration & Health Form (English)
- Forma de Registración y Salud del Estudiante (Español)
- Physician and Parent Authorization to Administer Medication Form (English)
- Forma de Autorización Médica y de Los Padres para Administrar Medicamentos (Español)
- Special Dietary Needs Form (English)
- Forma de Necesidades Especiales de Nutrición (Español)
- Allergy and Anaphylaxis Action Plan (English)
- Alergias y Plan de Acción de Anafilaxia (Español)
- Behavior Expectations (English)
- Expectativas de Comportamiento (Español)
- Souvenir Order Form (English)
- Formulario de Pedido de Recuerdo (Español)