Preparing Your Class for the Outdoor SchoolThe Outdoor School experience begins and continues in the classroom under your guidance. If the educational and social objectives of the program are to be met, careful preparation is necessary to build a foundation and anticipation for the on-site learning. This student preparation should include:
- developing a clear understanding of the reasons for participating in the program
- an awareness of some of the problems with which they might be confronted and ways they might be dealt with constructively
- a general knowledge of what will be taking place
- a familiarity with the basic vocabulary they will be working with
- an awareness of what will be expected of them
- what items to and not to be taken.
As a rule, two or more schools share the week, therefore, some degree of consistency in the preparation is beneficial if students are to have similar readiness.
It is best not to spend too much time on detailed discussions of experiences from previous years. Your students should be helped to understand that each year and week are unique and will be experienced differently by each child. Anticipation of specific events could lead to disappointment.
This list of activities is designed as an aid to this preparation. After the last crossword puzzle is completed and the final discussion has been held, the one thing that will influence your students most is your enthusiasm.
- Parent/Guardian Guide (Includes all of the forms below) (English)
- Guía Para Los Padres/Custodios en Español (Todos los formularios abajo están incluidos) (Español)
- Student Registration & Health Form (English)
- Forma de Registración y Salud del Estudiante (Español)
- Physician and Parent Authorization to Administer Medication Form (English)
- Forma de Autorización Médica y de Los Padres para Administrar Medicamentos (Español)
- Special Dietary Needs Form (English)
- Forma de Necesidades Especiales de Nutrición (Español)
- Allergy and Anaphylaxis Action Plan (English)
- Alergias y Plan de Acción de Anafilaxia (Español)
- Behavior Expectations (English)
- Expectativas de Comportamiento (Español)
- Souvenir Order Form (English)
- Formulario de Pedido de Recuerdo (Español)